Always Protect YourselfWith the beginning of the new school year fast approaching, parents, children and motorists should take time to review some key rules and guidelines to make the school year a safe and enjoyable experience.
Students on the Way to School Should
- Wait for their bus in a safe place, away from traffic and the street.
- Make sure they walk to and from school or the bus stop with others whom they know and trust.
- Tell the driver if they have dropped something near the bus before they retrieve it.
- Keep a safe distance from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver says it is OK to approach and enter.
- Exit the bus and take 10 big steps away from the bus, always maintaining a safe distance from the bus.
- Pay attention to and obey all traffic signals and signs. It is also exceptionally important to be extra careful in foggy, rainy or snowy weather.
- Be in a reliable and responsible carpool, if they are not taking the bus. Carpool drivers should drop youngsters off as close to the school as possible,
- and make sure that they have entered the school or schoolyard before leaving the area.
- Be aware of the street traffic around them. Drivers are required to follow certain rules of the road concerning school buses and pedestrians; however not all do.